Seals in Nuclear power plants require high levels of design competence and quality control. A willingness by the supplier to respond quickly to immediate needs is also a plus. At Pawling EP, we are equipped to handle these needs. Our seals for the nuclear power industry typically consist of:
- Molded, fabric reinforced construction (rather than extruded) for close cross section tolerances, no after cure splice joints, and maximum structural integrity.
- Use of certified materials that have met the necessary radiation resistance testing. Contact Pawling EP for more information.
- Adherence to a sound quality assurance program for our nuclear seals. All steps in engineering, manufacture, inspection and test are closely controlled by our nuclear quality assurance program based on ANSI N45.2 and 10CFR50 Appendix B.
Inflatable Pool Gate Seals for Nuclear Power Plants
To ensure high sealing reliability, nuclear pool gates are generally supplied with redundant Type 1 style fully molded inflatable seals. Fabric reinforcing is also incorporated for additional structural integrity and better resistance to rupture and tear. When required, flexible "J" seals can be supplied in lieu of inflatable seals. The gates can be either hinged or a liftout design.
Airlock Inflatable Seals
Pawling EP manufactures inflatable seals, "O" ring gaskets and custom compression seals for personnel airlock doors and equipment hatches at nuclear plants throughout the world. Like with inflatable pool gate seals, seal redundancy is built into the door design.
Fabric Reinforced Valve Seats
Using our unique long press capabilities, Pawling EP manufactures an 8" (203 mm) wide, fully molded fabric reinforced Natural Rubber expansion joint in long continuous lengths used for large pipe assemblies in power plants. Diameters approaching 8-10 feet (2438 - 3048 mm) are not uncommon. Depending on the requirements, this part can either be molded and spliced endless or can be step-cured into a complete gasket.
Other Elastomeric Seals and Fabrications for the Nuclear Power Industry
Whatever your need for nuclear quality rubber seals and fabrications, contact us. Undoubtedly we can provide the answer with one of our many custom designs. Other products for which you may have need for are:
- Sheet/Strip Blow Out Panel Seals
- Gaskets for Manways, Drain Covers, etc.
- Filter System Access Door Gaskets
- Washers and "O" rings Inspection Hatch Seals
- Damper Seal Expansion Joints
- Shield Plug Seals